Tuesday, May 20, 2008

When carousels were still merry-go-rounds



Today I found that my childhood has a Wikipedia page.

I have this very shadowy and magical memory of a place where Snoopy made perpetual laps around a tightrope strung from the ceiling on his unicycle in a jaw-dropping feat of balance. A red and gold carousel provides a tinkling soundtrack to this memory and sticky, honeyed hands from unending sopapillas provides the smell. There was Skee Ball. There was a talking wishing well, with water the color of Windex, that swallowed hundereds of our pennies. There was a jail cell with rubber bars, roaming mariachis, and magic shows. This is one of those childhood memories that is so shadowy and magical that I have often questioned if I ever really experienced this place and if I did, how distant are my memories from reality. It turns out they are not so distant after all.

This place was called Casa Bonita and it has a Wikipedia page. It was a mexican restaurant that lived in my hometown for a short period of time in the 1980s. There is still one location in Colorado and, although I would like to visit, I know that experiencing it as an adult could never live up to my memories of being there as a child.

Image from www.artifacting.com/blog/2006/04/10/la-experiencia-de-bonita-del-casa/

3 comments:

julieisacat said...

i wish i could have seen this place casa bonita. i am having fun here on this page. i will probably come back often-especially since i now know how to spell pigeon.
luvyuuu

monkey's blog is the same as yours except monkititus instead of ipigeon1, i haven't done much to it at all - the only pics up are portland

smischel said...

Pigeon child your memory does not fail you. Casa Bonita is real and I took you and sister pigeon there a few times. Times were lean in those days or we would have gone more often because I, too, found it quite magical!
Mama Pigeon

hubs said...

Hi I, Pigeon

Good post. I too have many memories of Casa Bonita. Feel free to continue using my photograph, I just ask that you link back to me.

-hubs
www.artifacting.com/blog